Sunday, November 11, 2007

Post 12: Not Ready to Make Nice




I don’t really like this music video of the song, “Not Ready to Make Nice”, by the Dixie Chicks. First of all, I think it is kind of creepy and demented; like at the beginning how they flash in and out with the girls smearing black ink on each other’s white dresses. Then later they are dressed in all black with black ink floating on a screen behind them. During the whole video, the girls act angry and almost psychotic. Especially when the on girl is trying to tear free from the grasp of the other two girls.

Another reason I don’t really like the video is because of the meaning of the song. It deals with the controversy that was started after the main singer’s critical comment about President George Bush while performing a concert in London. I just think that was a very unnecessary act and that even if you don’t agree with the president’s decisions, you shouldn’t criticize him in front of other countries, because then that gives them a bad view of our country as a whole and makes them question our leadership. The video shows the group’s outrage after being “attacked” by angry Americans for the comments they made. I understand their hurt but those comments never should have been made in the first place and I think they made the issue even more controversial by the video than if they would have just dropped it.

I understand that they have freedom of expression but they also should show respect for their country and to their president, even if they don’t agree with him. He still deserves respect. I just see this video as a pity party for them, giving the message that we should feel sorry for them because they’re being “attacked”, yet they were the ones who were at fault in the first place.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I really like the way you discussed the social connotations behind the video. I also really like that you discuss the freedom of expression. I think that it is awesome that you touch on both sides of the subject. I wished you would embellish more on the subject of the way that other countries view the Americain public.

Anonymous said...

I really like how you counter-argue this video. Dixie Chicks are/were a popular group. I think this is true for a lot of people that their group has fallen since that comment. This video is horrible and I think makes them look like just little babies trying to pick a fight over something that isn’t worth picking. The Dixie Chicks need to respect our country for whom they are and not diminish our patriotic atmosphere. A lot of people don’t agree with things that are said, yet don’t publicly announce it. This video is disgusting, like you said, the beginning is awful! I have never seen this video before today, but I am ashamed that they would produce something this awful!