Saturday, November 10, 2007

Post 11: Best I Ever Had



This country music video is of the song “Best I Ever Had” by Gary Allen. I really like this song, and I think the video is kind of sad because it shows the loss of love. In the video, I think his loss is exemplified by his standing on the dock that is completely surrounded by water. It shows that he is lonely without her and is now confused as to what to do. As he says in the song, “Remembering the girl leaves me down and lonely”.

In the video, since the girl is all dressed in white and almost angelic looking, it makes the viewer get the impression that maybe she had to leave because she passed away. This idea is later illustrated when the boat returns to the dock where he is singing and she has disappeared and all that remains is a bunch of flowers. It really sparks emotions in the viewer of a sense of sadness and loss, which most people can relate to.

When he puts the letter in the bottle and throws it out to sea and it finally reaches her, it demonstrates the part of the song when he says, “send it in a letter, make yourself feel better”. At this point when she reads the letter, she starts putting flowers in the water, almost as if she were leaving a trail for others to follow, but the sadness in her eyes reveals that its one that she can’t return to.

I think people can read this video in many different ways, depending on their situations in life. It’s kind of an ambiguous video, so it can be interpreted in ways that relate to the events you’ve experienced in life. I just really like this song because I think the guitar in it makes it very relaxing and easy to listen to.

1 comment:

Zach Beedle said...

I really like this song too maybe becasue I like all country music but I think that it sends a good message about love and holding on to things. I think that it sort of reflects on the idea that you don't always realize what you have until its gone. Whether it be something good or bad it is often to realize the true meaning or value of something until you don't posess it any longer. The fact that this song is about how love can be hard and losing it can be even harder makes it sort of depresseing. But I think that it also shows how you can move on and live your life without any regrets because if you live your life in fear of being hurt you will never experience many of the wonderful things that life has to offer. So even though this particular case deals with the loss of something that meant a great deal to someone, it shows how you can't do anything to change the past so you have to pick up the pieces and move on with your life because living in a world of regret and fear won't take you anywhere in life and it certainly won't ever heal any hurt you may have encountered along the way.